• Sept. 29, 1867: On that date, St. John’s Lutheran Church held its first worship service at 9th and K Streets. It was led by Pastor Matthias Goethe.

  • Dec. 1, 1867: Twenty-three members signed St. John’s first charter.

  • Sept. 1873: The congregation grew so rapidly that the original space was too small and the church moved to 12th and K.

  • 1877: The Church purchased two large bells, reportedly the first in the city. Today, those bells still ring majestically.

  • 1910: St. John’s growing congregation prepared for the future again, purchasing the site at 17th and L for $27,000. Many believed it was too far from downtown.

  • Dec. 10, 1911: Workers laid the cornerstone for the building in which we worship today.

  • Oct. 6, 1912: The new church was dedicated, including the beautiful sanctuary we enjoy today. The cost was $106,000, about $2 million in today’s dollars.

  • Oct. 12, 1912: St. John’s Lutheran Church at 17th and L was dedicated.

  • 1949: A remodeling project added the pulpit, the new front steps, and improved lighting and heating.

  • 1957: The education wing was added.

  • 1967: The church’s 100th anniversary. A major project was completed, including remodeling of the sanctuary, installing a new organ, and the purchase of the lot and building which is now Goethe Hall.

  • 1972: Goethe Hall was remodeled and dedicated.

  • 1977: New parking space was added.

  • 2002: A Master Site Plan was overwhelmingly approved by the congregation.

  • June 15, 2008: The refurbished sanctuary was dedicated with Bishop David Mullen joining Pastors Sorensen, Espegren and LaTorre in the worship services.

  • July 12, 2008: St. John’s hosted the Installation of Rev. Mark W. Holmerud as Bishop of the Sierra Pacific Synod of the ELCA with Bishop Mark Hanson presiding.

charles-deluvio-HHvTueTr3KY-unsplash.jpg
512zyZFsRRL._SL500_.jpg
49461677_10156808527147521_1778315875875
CONTACT US